Saturday, March 23, 2013

Thank You

A good friend mentioned in passing the other day that opensolaris.org would finally be decommissioned tomorrow. I could not help but reflect on how much things have changed since Friday the 13th. Since that time, my work with Solaris has ceased almost entirely. Professionally (and personally) I've moved on to other areas of interest, though OpenSolaris remains a fond memory. The community's response still astonishes and humbles me - 50,000 page views was far more than I ever expected.

In a somewhat bizarre twist of fate, Erin and I relocated to the Bay Area a couple of months after our daughter, Elizabeth was born. We settled a few blocks away from the old Sun headquarters in Santa Clara. The Coraid offices are also quite literally in the shadow of the Oracle campus in Redwood Shores. I still chuckle at the irony of it all.

Elizabeth

I will forever be grateful for the opportunities the OpenSolaris project has provided for my family and me. For a too brief moment in time, I was able to work shoulder-to-shoulder with some of the most brilliant engineers in our field (and had a hell of a lot of fun doing it). You know who you are. Thank you.

A couple of weeks ago, Erin, Elizabeth, and I were walking home from the park when something caught my eye. It was a discarded Solaris 11 Live CD lying by the side of the road. I simply cannot think of a more fitting way to end this post.

Discarded...